Kathmandu : On the occasion of International Women’s Day, the Zonta Club of Kathmandu celebrated their annual “Yellow Rose Day” on March 6, 2022, to honor ‘Inspirational and Courageous Women’ for their achievements regardless of their circumstances. The award ceremony was supported by NABIL Bank, Byanjan a premium food brand, Star Hospital Limited, MG Motors, and hospitality partner Hyatt Place.
On Yellow Rose Day 2022, twelve exemplary women from all walks of life were honored at the event. The awardees shared their journeys of how they succeeded in breaking the glass ceiling. Sharing and rejoicing the stories of such empowering women has undoubtedly made a difference in society and serves as an immense source of encouragement to all the women in the country.
Zonta Club Kathmandu award categories and awardees are:
- Princess Helen Shah Award – Prastuti Bhattrai and Ms. Barsha Tamang
- Amar Rana Game Changer Award – Captain Priya Adikari
- Ratna Devi Award to Covid Heroes- Ms. Suswopna Rimal
- Jyoti Scholarship Award
- Women in Business Scholarship: Barsha Katuwal
- Women in Tech Scholarship: Ms. Sukriti Maskey
- Indrakala Scholarship Award
- Young Women in Public Affairs: Mandira Shrestha
- Women in Space: Manisha Dawa
Similarly, the Zonta Club of Kathmandu awarded Rs. 35,000 each supported by Nabil Bank to four other women under the title of Unsung Heroes as an appreciation for their extraordinary work that has helped to shape the attitude of the society towards women. They have been inspiring and working against the odds. These women are working in sectors, which are traditionally male-dominated. It was an honor to recognize and appreciate these courageous women who are inspirations in their genre of work.
The President of Zonta Club of Kathmandu, Ms. Seema Golcha said, “Zonta celebrates Women’s day by appreciating women who are creating a thriving society where equality prevails. A society where women do not have to prove that they are fit to lead. Where they are appreciated and honored on their merit. Having women in a leadership position should be a norm, not an exception.”
- Rejina Basnet: Rejina Basnet works at Sajha as a ticket collector where she collects fares and issues tickets.
- Sarita Chepang: Sarita Chepang is the first nurse from her community in Rorang Rural Municipality-10 where most of the girls in her community would have already gotten married at 20.
- Ishwori Thapa: Ishwori Thapa claims to be the 1st female taxi driver in Nepal and has been working in the field for over 10 years.
- Manu Thami: Manu Thami works as the only woman who fixes windows and doors. This sector is heavily outnumbered by men but she is showing that it is very possible for women to enter this profession.
Zonta International, founded in 1919, is a leading global organization of professionals, empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy. It envisions a world in which women’s rights are recognized as human rights and every woman is able to achieve her full potential. In such a world, women have access to all resources, are represented in decision-making positions on an equal basis with men and no women live in fear of violence. Under the umbrella of Zonta International, the Zonta Club of Kathmandu was established in 2012. It is a legally registered NGO in Kathmandu and has been working on the advancement of the status of women with the objective to improve the economy, education, health, and issues related to youth and violence against women at the national and local level through service and advocacy. Nepal is the 64th country to be officially charter.
Zonta Club Kathmandu’s programs include adult literacy for women, advocacy on ending child marriage and awareness on women’s entitlement, self-defense training for girls, education supplies, and skill development training for women prison inmates, 16 Days of Activism against Violence against Women (VAW), sanitation project – building toilets, distributing cycles to girls and women ease their commute to educational institutions, etc. Zonta Club Kathmandu is committed to continuing and strengthening initiatives for wider impact.